Andy Ross writes:

 > > I tried that, and it's an improvement, but the tailwheel seems to
 > > slide sideways too easily.
 >
 > Really?  When I tried it, I couldn't turn against the tail wheel at
 > all, even with full braking applied.  The tail wheel didn't move until
 > 50 kts or so when it lifted; then the plane became squirrely, as might
 > be expected.  Under what conditions did you see that behavior?  If
 > it's sliding at speed, are you absolutely sure that's wrong?

I saw it in a slow, taxiing turn at around 10kt or less, but I had
done the modification myself before you posted yours.  I'll try it
with exactly your suggestion.

 > I noticed that too -- this will be harder to implement.  There's no
 > "feedback" for the steering direction right now -- castering is
 > implemented by simply assuming that steer == velocity.  The code would
 > need to calculate a steer angle, test for "forward", and set the
 > castering bit to false only if that is true *and* the wheel lock is
 > on.  That ties a bunch of code sections together in a kinda messy way.

For now, perhaps locking the tailwheel could automatically snap it to
0 deg steering angle.  We could even handle that in the input
bindings, if there were a pseudo-steering property for the tailwheel.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.megginson.com/