Alex Perry writes:

 > There is a standard METAR way to write this, something like
 >      18010G15KT
 >      180V2205KT

Yes, of course, but the command-line option is already --wind=180@10,
and I wanted to allow a specific range for the variable direction as
well (rather than just VRB); I thought that a consistent range format
<min>:<max> on both sides of the '@' might be easiest for people to
remember.

 > I think you should parse that, and allow an optional "@".
 > You cannot omit the KT because it is over-riding the default
 > windspeed units.
 >
 >      180@10G15KT
 >      180V220@5KT

We haven't used the kt up to this point -- it's documented in the
help, though, I think.  You are correct that we use two different
units: fps for the NED components, and kt for the calibrated speed.

 > There is also the standard format for writing TAF and winds aloft,
 > but they are more cryptic and best restricted to an input file
 > parser.

Do you know a single input source that collects world-wind data on
winds aloft, as with METAR and TAF?  I know how to find the Canadian
and US data, but it will be a pain if we have to download winds aloft
country-by-country.

All the best,

David

--