Andy Ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> This looks fantastic.  I think this may be the first working gyro ball
> in a PC simulator cockpit.  At least, I haven't seen one anywhere
> else. :)
Thanks!

> On question, unrelated to the ball actually, is exactly what we're
> trying to simulate.  You seem to be aiming at an A-4C cockpit, but the
> aero model is for an A-4E which has a bigger engine.  The 3D model
> claims to be a C, but it's dolled up in Blue Angels paint, and they
> flew the A-4F.
Note the fine print ;-):
http://www.blueangels.org/Aircraft/Stick/A4/ProudBird/ProBird.htm

> To nit further: the slats are down, but the Blue
That'd be easy to do :-)...was planning to animate them.

> Angels planes had their slats bolted shut*.  And the refueling probe
> is the cranked shape that wasn't introduced until the A-4M. :)
Well I'm baffled.  Take a look at this page:
http://www.skyhawk.org/2D/blues.htm

This page confirms that the A4-F was used,  however none of the pictures looks
like the F with the extended hump for electronics.  On the other hand this
couldn't really be a C either.  Must be in between.  In any case these photos
seem to confirm the accuracy of model.  Given the time frame in which the
aircraft were built,  I'd suggest we should leave the geometry alone and power
it with the A4-F engines.

> * For safety.  The A-4 had automatic slats that were retracted by
>   aerodynamic force -- they dropped automatically at low airspeeds and
>   high AoA's.  On the ground, they just hung open.  This was a great
>   idea for maintenance purposes, but left open the possibility that
>   they might get stuck and deploy asymmetrically.  That's a
>   recoverable situation normally, but not when there's another plane a
>   few feet under or above your wing tip. :)
Ah ok.  If we modeled that, where would do it, in the FDM?

> > 1) The flags.  There are four of them in the photos I've seen but so
> > far I haven't found any information on which is which.  One has the
> > word "Off" on it, and I assume that it means the entire assembly is
> > unpowered.
>
> I'm clueless here.  Obvious warning flags for the instrument would be
> the same as for a normal AI or HSI -- vacuum failure (or maybe
> electrical failure or low gyro RPM), lack of radio signal
> (VOR/TACAN/LOC/GS).
Wild ass guesses:
8 o'clock flag, power to instrument.
9 o'clock flag, gs signal.