Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> I would argue that if we do embed a script interpreter it should be
> really small, tight, and light weight.

Amen. :)

It's possible that the source for the actual interpreter is much
smaller than the full package, though.  JavaScript implementations are
likely to be aimed at browsers, and the browser environment is a
notoriously fat interface.

It's a pity that there aren't any good, small, tight scripting
languages left.  Lots of languages *start* small and tight, but
rapidly expand.  Python did this -- version 1 was small and tight,
version 2 is a monster.  Perl is about to do it for the Nth time.  I
tremble in fear everytime Larry releases another apocalypse.  Perl 6
is just out of control at this point.

There are (duck) scheme variants like guile that are still small,
though.

Also, there's Lua.  Lua is very small and very tight (only a few tens
of kilobytes of code).  It's also very odd, with strange syntax for
stuff that the rest of the world has standardized on long ago.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA