John Wojnaroski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Perhaps that explains the problem I've been seeing. When performing autoland
> approaches in the 747 (approach speeds around 137-150KIAS) the aircraft
> would suddenly level off at decision height ( 200 ft) and then dive for the
> runway as it tried to reacquired the glideslope. At first, I thought it
> might be a problem in the FMC or some logic error that I created to initiate
> a TO/GA. Looked and looked and could find nothing, so I dropped it for the
> moment to work on other things

That's probably an issue with the autopilot and the 747.  It's been difficult
finding control factors that work for all the different speeds, compounded by
the giant mass of the 747.  At those lower speeds the effectiveness of the
elevator can change dramatically with relatively small changes in speed.

In any case the AGL doesn't affect the autopilot in its normal modes.  If you
were hearing tire screech at 200ft or it behaved differently depending on the
airport,  that would be a different story.

Best,

Jim