On Sat, 06 Jul 2002 13:49:36 -0700,
Andy Ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > ..(during the Falklands War, the Britts tested refuelling of
> > Harriers and Sea Harriers, from ships, in-hover refuelling,
> > believe I saw this in Air Progress magazine in the mid 80'ies.)
>
> I think what you're remembering is the "Sky Hook" gadget that was
> developed but never installed on Royal Navy vessels.  It was actually
> a full-service landing system, not just a refuelling boom.  The idea

..could well be both.  Was possibly tested in North Norwegian waters,
the Britts trained up here, the topography is pretty similar.

..correct afair, the articles mentioned commandeered/drafted tanker
vessels, and not using standard issue naval vessels.

> was that the Harrier would come to a stable hover alongside the boat,
> and then be grabbed from above by the hook.  It would then
> (carefully!) decrease thrust until it was just hanging there, and then
> be lowered onto the deck like cargo.

..the US Navy did hoist Boeing (or Grumman?) pursuit planes in thru
the belly of an airship in the late 20-30'ies, climb into the hook,
lock it, hoist it in, drop it onto the hangar deck.

..the US Navy also played with condensing water out of engine
exhaust gas in at least one of these airships, I'm thinking of
trying a wood gasifier in one.  First things first, though.

> I can't imagine this was very popular with the pilots.  Imagine
> sweating during the (already very difficult) hover as some 19 year
> old sailor swats at you with a giant crane. :)

<picturing-crane-arm-art-&-score-board>
..uhmmm, yeah, we could model fly swatting too.  ;-)
</picturing-crane-arm-art-&-score-board>

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: