The focal point is where rays will be focussed to/from a parallel beam of light - like
the rays from an object at infinite distance.  The theory is normally quoted in these
terms, as it avoids having to consider two distances at once (the distance to the
object and the distance to the image or observer).  Thus:

  /           Parallel rays from a distant object
 /     <----------------------------------------

|          +  Are all focussed to here
|              (the focal point, by definition)
 \     <----------------------------------------
  \

... but in real life, the object will be nearer than infinity ...

  /
 /            Non-parallel rays from nearby object (O)

|          +         I             O

 \            Are focussed to an inverted real image somewhere else (I)
  \

... and as the object moves closer to the mirror, the image of it moves further away,
and crosses over the object position (at the point where, looking into the mirror, you
find the image of your eye disappearing into a singularity) and continues to move
further away until ...

  /
|             Rays from an object at the focal point (O)

  \           Are "focussed" to infinity

... you get back to an easy-theory situation.  The geometry of the intermediate
positions is probably something like:

  (1 / distance_to_object) + (1 / distance_to_image) = (1 / focal_length)

... at least qualitatively.  I don't know whether that is correct quantitatively.

I hope this was the "clue to the obvious" that you needed.

- Julian