Simon Fowler writes:

 > What kind of buildings and other stationary models do we need for
 > VFR use? What would be the easiest place to start work on them?

It's not that predictable.  For example, around my home airport, ATC
uses a water tower, a bridge, and a slightly-isolated subdivision when
giving VFR instructions; to get to and from the practice area, we use
a quarry, a lake, and a small bay in a river as well.  In the circuit,
we (can) use an apartment building off the threshold of 22, a red barn
under the turn to base for 04, a railroad track under the length of
the downwind for 22 or 04, and the control tower itself to line up the
slant base for 22 (to stay out of the way of the approach to 25).
Coming in from the west at low altitude, we know it's time to call
Ottawa Terminal when we're over the Corel Centre (a sports stadium).
And so on.

All the best,

David

--