ace project writes:
> Ok, here is the summary:
>
> This will be a engine for gaming, not 'pure'
> simulation, thus only visible charateristics are
> considered.
>
> Protocol will be UDP, it has the follow
> charateristics:
> - unreliable, will be fixed by ACKS,packet numbering
> and timeouts
>
> - Position (delta) updates will (atleast) be 20
> upd/sec, this can be set.

If an aircraft is flying a relatively consistant speed/direction, you
could get by with far fewer than this.  The local end can send a
starting set of position, velocity, acceleration.  The remote end can
then predict future movement accurately for the short term.  The local
end can also run the same prediction algorithm based on the same data
that it has sent to the remote end.  When the 'predicted' value
becomes different enough from the actual value, the local end can send
new data.

This is a higher level way to 'compress' the data and reduce
redundancy.  It would be a bit more work to impliment, but could save
a *huge* amount of bandwidth.