Here's the current state of randomly-placed scenery objects in
FlightGear.  This shot shows a farm with a city in the background:

  http://www.megginson.com/flightsim/farm-and-city.png

Note also the framerate, which is pretty-much identical to my
framerate without random objects now.  To try it out, grab the latest
CVS of FlightGear and the base package, then type

  fgfs --prop:/sim/rendering/dynamic-objects=true

If you want to enable randomly-placed scenery objects by default, just
add

  --prop:/sim/rendering/dynamic-objects=true

to your $HOME/.fgfsrc.

Contributions of other buildings and scenery objects are earnestly
solicited.  Note that my basic rule is to use very few polys (one quad
for a tree, five for a basic building) and small textures (max 64x64,
except for extremely large buildings; 32x32 when possible).  Usually,
objects will be a fair distance away, and I think it is a better use
of our texture memory to have a lot of low-res variety rather than
only a few high-res objects.

Enjoy,

David

--