Strange that m4 would be puking.  Could this be some sort of ascii
vs. binary mount vs. text file line ending issue?

The one time I tried to exhaustively explore this issue on cygwin, I
was left dazed and confused.  I know there are certain configurations
that will work, but I never felt like I came to a complete
understanding of "why".

Curt.