I just tried that and unfortunately I get exactly the same problem.
I am going to try again from scratch.  I do have a question.  How
do I keep the two CVS branches separated?  When I do a make install
for simgear on the stable branch, does that not overwrite the simgear
for the devel branch?  I'm just wondering what is the best way to keep
the branches totally isolated from one another.  Sorry if this has
been answered elsewhere (as I am sure it has).

Mark