Curtis L. Olson writes:

 > Related to the electrical system there are other non-panel things
 > though to be concerned about as well.  For instance, if electrical bus
 > #1 isn't powered, the flaps won't move and the fuel pump won't
 > work.

Those are very aircraft-dependent.  Many older aircraft have
hand-operated flaps, and most retractables (I think) have a manual
override for the gear.  In my limited experience, only the newest
172's (i.e. the 172R) have fuel pumps at all, though they're probably
more common on bigger planes.

 > This has flight model implications.

Yes, but not much; we just have to have the FDMs read from
/systems/flaps/position rather than /controls/flaps, etc.

 > Likewise, if the master-bat switch is off and the master-alt switch
 > is off (or the engine is not running) and there is no external
 > power, then the starter motor won't engage.

Again, this logic should probably be kept out of the FDMs; we can
simply tell them whether the starter is engaged.

 > > They should be parameterized in the XML instrument config file so that
 > > the aircraft file can plug the right instrument into the right bus.
 > > Note how some instruments are already parameterized to use different
 > > engines or receivers.
 >
 > I never quite got the hang of your xml parameters ...

It can be as simple as a property naming a property.

 > > I prefer that the GPS connect itself to avionics-bus-1, or more
 > > specifically, that the aircraft config file connect the GPS to
 > > avionics-bus-1.  That's nice for designers, because it will feel a
 > > little like actually building an aircraft.
 >
 > Some of this is a bit arbitrary and up to the aircraft designer.  The
 > line between the electrical system and instrument panel can be a bit
 > fuzzy.

I'm not suggesting putting this in the panel config but in the
aircraft config -- that's where we tie all the parts together.  It
should be easy to connect any device to any bus in the *-set.xml file.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.megginson.com/