Michael Selig writes:

> At 9/26/02, Norman Vine wrote:
> >Jim Brennan jjb writes:
> >
> > > Can anyone provide this for me?
> >
> >http://www.rockfish.net/~nhv/fgfs/mingw/fgfs_092602.tgz
> >
> >Note this does not have LaRCSim or UIUC support as there
> >is a namespace clash with the beta MingW gcc compiler I
> >am using.
>
> I recall reading some prior email from you on the namespace problem.  In
> that email you seemed to suggest that this was a fairly general problem
and
> not specific to your compiler.  Is there something that we can do here at
> UIUC to resolve this compile issue?

YES - it is a bit of work, but I think that it should be done at somepoint

The problem is all the #defines in ls_generic cause namespace clashes.

M$oft is half to blame here in that they assume you are in a Windows
enviroment and insist on bringing in almost the entire header tree
when you might only need one structure.

I believe the proper thing todo is eventually move LaRCSim into a
C++ class and use namespaces.  This however is a fair amount of
work.

BTW this all stems from the libstdc++ that ships with the gcc-3.X compilers
which enables the WIN32 threading model.  Currently this is still a beta
release and trying to find a good solution to this namespace pollution is
one of the things keeping gcc3.X beta for WIN32, so this problem may
disappear on the MingW32 compiler but having all tose defines exposed
is just 'begging for trouble'.  I think we have just been lucky that we got
away with them as long as we have.

> Also, does the Windows binary from www.flightgear.org support the
> LaRCsim/UIUC stuff?

Yes, I am sad to say :-(

I will work on correcting this by reverting to the older 2.95 compiler
when I get a chance < should be within the week  > as I have discovered
that I still need it for some other projects too.

Cheers

Norman