Alex Perry writes:

> > Norman Vine writes:
> >  >  http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/AERO/ASPphoto/aspphoto.html
>
> Of course, for the non-free images which are dirt cheap on a per airport
> basis (given the scripting above), I note the absence of any licence
> comments on the site ... leading to the question of whether I could give
> my custom scenery patch to others afterwards.

You should definately check the license info before purchasing
but in general the 'purchaser' of a US product has full rights to
the product after purchase unless specifically stated otherwise.

FWIW - I was involved in a 'minor' investigation 10 years or so ago
concerning my distributing source for a program I had purchased
from NASA and it was 'deemed' that I was completely within my 'rights'
in that NASA had placed no 'restrictions' on redistribution

This is 'doubly' true for 'map' related data as it has ALWAYS been a
policy of the US that freely available map data is in the national
'economic'
interest.  Note this is a MUCH different philosophy then other countries.
Recently due to cost issues the US has started to charge a 'distribution
fee'
for data gotten from government agencies but this does not change
the basic US philosophy about free map data being 'good' for the economy

Also note this does not apply to 'classified military map data' but only
that data which is 'officially distributed' either from non military sources
or is expressly designated as 'non-classified'

AFAIK it would take an act of congress to change this 'basic' philosophy
as it was an act of congress that established this policy 200+ years ago

Cheers

Norman