According to this site
http://www.libraries.wright.edu/special/1903/construction_photos.htm (about halfway
down), the fabric of the wings was structurally significant. Quote:
        Over 8,000 stitches were hand sewn by the volunteers.
        Howard  DuFour Project Director, remarked, "It's amazing
        how much those boys depended on the cloth to hold the
        plane together."

I find it difficult to believe that the aircraft was flyable if a 40N force (4 bags of
sugar) would warp the wing nearly 4 meters.

Richard