Christopher S Horler writes:

 > I found a Flight International around work today when I was waiting for
 > someone.  It has an article about an emergency parachute system on some
 > plane (I forget which), and I think it said you could get them for
 > C172's and another Cessna...

It's called the Ballistic Recovery System (BRS), and is still a little
controversial.  They're used mainly on ultralights (which have an
unfortunate tendency to fall apart in flight), but also come standard
with the Cirrus SR20 and SR22, and have been certified for use as an
add-on with the C172.

While the company claims hundreds of lives saved in its ads aimed at
Cessna and Cirrus pilots, all of the saves were actually ultralights
until a few weeks ago when a Cirrus pilot deployed the chute after
losing an aileron.  He lived; it's impossible to know how he would
have managed without the chute, but it's worth noting that the plane
was still under control when he deployed:

  http://www.avweb.com/newswire/news0241b.html

 > So how long before I can land my fgfs C172 by parachute?

That's what a lot of people are afraid of -- "my engines running a
little rough, better pull the chute".

All the best,

David

--