David Luff writes:

 > I'm working on getting the small plane to taxi back in after flying a
 > circuit, so I'd appreciate some input from the pilots from the list on
 > real-life taxiing.  What sort of speeds are typical during taxiing on the
 > runway, on a large taxiway, on a small taxiway between rows of parked
 > planes, and when turning corners.

The rule I learned is never taxi faster than you can jog comfortably
(10 km/h or about 5kt for me), and usually more slowly, especially at
night or in bad weather or gusty winds.  The ASI isn't all that useful
at low speeds on the ground, so we usually gauge it by power setting:
I was told to taxi a 172 at about 1000 RPM, but I end up riding the
brakes that way -- I find that 800-900 RPM is more suitable (and even
then, I brake more than I'd like to).

 > What's a typical turn radius at a 90degree junction.

That's easy -- follow the yellow line.

Seriously, rwy 4/22 at CYOW is 75 ft wide, and we usually backtrack on
04 from taxiway papa to get the full length for takeoff.  When I go
back right along the edge (say, 5 or 6 feet in), and turn very tightly
with a lot of differential braking, I can just bring it onto the
centreline without an s-curve and without stopping my forward roll.
That's a minimum turning diameter of about 30 feet (15 foot radius)
while actually rolling forward -- a 25 foot radius would likely be
much more comfortable.  You can turn much more tightly if you stop
your forward motion and just pivot around one wheel, but that's not
good for the plane.

 > Are major taxiways such as the one parallel to the rwy that
 > normally seems to be called Alpha 2-way or is the traffic normally
 > directed one-way on them by ATC depending on the rwy in use?

That would be very airport specific, but note that almost every case
ends up being a special case.  People are always requesting a
different runway, a different taxiway, a different intersection
takeoff, etc., and ATC is usually pretty obliging.  When I taxi on
taxiway alpha at CYOW, there is sometimes a big 767 or Airbus heading
straight towards me -- I have an instruction to hold short at delta
and the big plane will turn onto the main apron before there, so
there's not conflict, but it would look quite frightening to a new
passenger.

So the short answer is to let your AI plane take the shortest route
back to parking.  Note that it should stop for a while before crossing
any runways -- even when you're precleared to cross, you still stop
and look.

The C172 should also stop to do a runup just before it goes to the
hold-short line runway -- that can take 3-5 minutes for a single and
longer for a twin.  Allow another minute or so for tower clearance
before taxiing out for takeoff.

 > Do most light plane parking spots have a designated direction when
 > parked or is either way fine?

Light planes are almost always parked facing into the prevailing wind,
especially if they're out on the field.  On the apron in front of our
hanger, they're facing any which way.  The easiest choice would be to
have the AI plane just stop in front of the pumps.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.megginson.com/