and so on, to something more sane:

  /controls/engine[0]/
  /controls/engine[1]/
  /controls/engine[2]/
  /controls/engine[3]/
Yes, lovely.  Excellent.

We could even go to

  /controls/engines/engine[0/

and so on to simplify the /controls/ top level further.
No - we have that in some places, but I was thinking recently that it's not the right way to go. I think the only practical purpose is to reduce clutter in the browser; but the property browser could and should do this for us if we want it to. For example, it could display

controls/
elevator
engine[*]
flaps

and then, when the user clicks on it, expand it to

controls/
elevator
engine[0]
engine[1]
engine[2]
engine[3]
flaps

or to

controls/engine
[0]
[1]
[2]
[3]

From an abstract point of view, "engines/engine[n]/" could more succinctly be arranged as "engines/n/" or "engine[n]/" and this last seems to be the way the property manager was designed to handle it. Note that "engines/engine[n]/" is identical to "engines[0]/engine[n]/" which starts to look a bit silly again.

Just my opinion.

Also, could a similar thing be done with the engine output properties (mainly to drive the guages - RPM, temperature, etc.)? I can't think right now where they are at the moment. I have this vision of enabling the JSBSim piston engine and the Yasim piston engine models to be plug-in-compatible with one another.

- Julian