On Wednesday 13 November 2002 4:38 pm, Jim Wilson wrote:
> David Megginson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> > Erik Hofman writes:
> >  > Allright, If you think lowres is not good enough, we can keep them.
> >  > I was just trying to remove 11 Mb from the base package and thought
> >  > the lowres version would be good enough.
> >
> > Perhaps the high-res could be an optional add-on.
>
> That wouldn't be good I don't think.  They seem to be used by default.  And
> are worth it.  Gzipped we'd be looking at about 5.5mb.

I haven't been following the conversation but, a couple things about
the base package:

1) Releases != cvs snapshots
It gets groomed.

2) While a smaller download is always better, the better FGFS gets,
 the more slack people will cut us when it comes to the download.
The current  gzipped cvs snapshot tarball is less than 40mb.
How does this compare with other sims -demo- downloads?
The base package also includes a manual in PDF and HTML
formats, so add that in to the calculations.