At 11/14/02, Jim Wilson wrote:
Anyone else noticing that the model alignment offsets aren't working?
If you are talking about the file that moves the model wrt the "reference point" in the mdl file, it does not work for me. For example, the values in this file don't move the model.

~/fgfsbase/Aircraft/sopwithCamel/Models/uiuc/sopwithCamel/sopwithCamel-model.xml
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<PropertyList>
<path>cambelg.mdl</path>
<offsets>
<z-m>2</z-m>
<x-m>-.6</x-m>
<pitch-deg>0</pitch-deg>
</offsets>
</PropertyList>

According to this doc:
http://www.flightgear.org/Docs/fgfs-model-howto.html
the xml tags should be like

<z-offset-m>2</z-offset-m>

But I recall vividly that <z-m>2</z-m> did work at one point. I also recall a lot of email gyrations on this particular tag (offset stuff). Maybe the dust has settled, but I have not yet found the key.

Do other people use this anymore? Can anyone shed light on this? I could sure use it! Several MSFS models do not put the model reference point at the cg, so those need offsets to proper display them in external view.

Regards,
Michael

 Prof. Michael S. Selig
 Dept. of Aero/Astro Engineering
 306 Talbot Laboratory
 104 South Wright Street
 Urbana, IL 61801-2935
 (217) 244-5757 (o), (509) 691-1373 (fax)
 mailto:m-selig@;uiuc.edu
 http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/m-selig
 http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/m-selig/faq.html (FAQ)