Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> BTW, Andy, how hard would it be to accept an initial airspeed for
> the YASim models so we can do in-air starts with those?

Not hard at all.  The only reason it doesn't is that, heh, I got
really confused about how to figure out the units and precedence
rules.  Speed can be set in about a zillion ways (roll/pitch/heading
vs. x/y/z vs. north/east/down coordinates, IAS, TAS, knots, m/s, mach,
etc...), and it seemed like the FDM is responsible for figuring out
what goes where.

If you can point me at a property to read for an authoritative
velocity source, I'm there. :)

A slightly harder problem is getting the aircraft trimmed for the
selected environment.  A really annoying property of most (all?) sims
is that they start you out at the right point, but way out of trim and
you wreck the setup trying to get stabilized.  I can probably
canibalize some of the solver code for that.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA