I had to chuckle at the line "Through our various feedback mechanisms..." It's nice (?) to see that something like /. is considered a "feedback mechanism." )

On Friday, November 29, 2002, at 03:12 PM, Andy Ross wrote:

Martin Spott wrote:
> Andy Ross wrote:
> > Probably most of you noticed last week that ATI has released a unified
> > linux driver package for all of their 8x00/9x00 cards. [...]
>
> Wohoo, you made it into /. with this article. I would not wonder if this
> boosts FlightGear popularity :-)

Yikes. My wife saw this first* and called me in this morning. Good
grief. I hadn't planned on using up my 15 minutes of fame so soon,
nor for such a silly purpose.

* Yes, I have a wife who reads slashdot. Phear me! No wait, this is
a post to flightgear-devel. Never mind. :)

I was hoping to see some interest in FlightGear in all the responses,
but most of it was the standard slashdot nonsense**. Curt will have
to tell us if he sees any new mailing list subscriptions. The
statistics at http://seneca.me.umn.edu show a little peak over the
past few days and about 6000 hits on the slashdot link, but not a
whole lot of change.

** Linux vs. Windows (no! FreeDOS!). NVidia vs. ATI (no! Matrox!).
More than a few people called me an idiot. More than a few of
those hadn't bothered to read the link. Whee.

But let it not be said that all was in vain. I just received the
following from Terry Makedon at ATI. These guys understood the
problem and fixed it withing a day after the slashdot article
appeared. It looks like it really was just an honest mistake. Now I
feel guilty for the "frothing mess" remark. :)

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer Emeryville, CA