Major A writes:

 > > - The autopilot in the 172 tries to keep the orange heading bug at the
 > >   top of the directional gyro, period.  If you set the DG to the true
 > >   heading (as you would in the Arctic), then the autopilot uses true
 >
 > Ever flown a (real) 172 across the North Pole? :-)

No, but the Arctic starts a long way from the North Pole.  Many people
in Canada fly 172's in Northern Domestic Airspace (roughly north of
60, but it zigzags a lot), where you use true rather than magentic
headings.  The same may apply to parts of Alaska.

 > How about the HSI on the A4 panel? It appears to be fixed at true
 > heading, and it doesn't seem to be adjustable (it's supposed to be a
 > gyro, so it should be).

I don't use the A4, so I haven't noticed.  It should probably be
showing magnetic heading.  Usually, an HSI is slaved to a separate
magnetic sensor that keeps it aligned, so that you don't have to
adjust it manually (it's also very expensive, at least for a small
plane).

All the best,

David

--