Norman Vine writes:
> fine but ...
>
> for the record I continue to support adding -DWIN32 to the
> compiler flags in the configure script as the *best* way.

But then cygwin/mingwin users have an extra thing they need to figure
out how to do.  It's non obvious, and if you don't know you are
supposed to add this, your compile will break in a mysterious way.
I'd rather that people just be able to run ./configure; make.  If they
don't like the defaults then they can investigate how to change them,
but the defaults should at least work, and not fail in an
incomprehensible way.

> Then the NOMINMAX flag in compiler.h is only defined for those
> compilers where this is a problem and is taken care of with just
> 3 lines of code which are already in place
>
> but what would I know ...
> I am just a Windows user that actually uses this code :-)

Well, I cut it down from 3 lines of code in compiler.h to one line of
code in configure.ac.  It should have the same net effect, for all
cases where WIN32 is defined, NOMINMAX is also defined.

I think this is a lot cleaner than having the configure script define
WIN32, and forcing the user to also define it on the command line, and
this sort of option more naturally fits in the config.h, not the
compiler.h.

Regards,