I gave it a try last week (Mac OS X 10.2).

I had to make a bunch of small fixes to the clouds3d code to get it to
compile. Mostly this involved changing "int" to "GLint". Also had to add a
current gl context function (Q: why is this needed?).

http://homepage.mac.com/walisser/.cv/walisser/Public/FlightGear/clouds3d.diff-binhex.hqx

I then found some errors in the xml package. The exception throwing code
crashes rather than throwing the exception because it frees the object
that is throwing the exception and then trys to use it again. The easy fix
is to remove the free (which I've done). Better would be to save the
values that are needed later:

http://homepage.mac.com/walisser/.cv/walisser/Public/FlightGear/easyxml.diff-binhex.hqx

The end result of these changes is a sort-of running version. The clouds3d
option doesn't work. It doesn't crash, but eats up huge quantities of
memory (300MB+) after running(during fgfs startup) for a few minutes at
which point I give up on it. I'm pretty sure none of my changes could have
caused this.