On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 07:30, Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> Matthew writes:
> > Wing flexing? Is that possible in FG? Keep going this way and I might need
> > to replace my Geforce 2 GTS 32MB card with something new, if its worth it
> > (seems to be still perfoming really well though). Would be cool to see
> > wings flex when taking off, or with turbulence etc.
>
> Have a look at the Wright flyer in FlightGear.
>
>    fgfs --aircraft=wrightFlyer1903
>
> The wing flexing isn't perfect, but it shows that it's possible and
> with a bit more work, could be made a lot smoother.  This could be
> very interesting to attach to some internal FDM variable for the much
> larger aircraft ...

Already one there ... normal load factor or nlf.  This is basically
lift/weight so when it's zero the wings are unloaded.  One is
lift=weight, so the wings should bend to their normal, one-g shape.
Greater than one, and you're pullin g's, so the tips should bend up
to varying degrees depending on the aircraft and load.

BTW, it's a wee bit scary to see just how much high-aspect ratio
wings will bend up when pulling more than 2-3 g's.

--
Tony Peden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>