Mike Bonar writes:
> Please help a newbie out.  I am a little confused about how to stay up to date
> with CVS.  Here's the process as documented, and as I understand it.
>
> cd /usr/local/source/FlightGear (the directory I created to hold FlightGear)
> Connect to CVS server and checkout FlightGear

I'd do something like:

cd /usr/local/src
cvs -d<blah-blah-blah> login
cvs -d<blah-blah-blah> co FlightGear
(cvs specifics are on the web site.)

This will create the FlightGear directory

> ./autogen.sh
> ./configure
> make
> make install

Assuming you have simgear and plib installed, yes, cd to FlightGear
and do those steps.

> Connect to CVS server and checkout fgfsbase
> (Is there a step missing here?  Do I need to copy the contents of
> fgfsbase to /usr/local/lib/FlightGear?)

You have two choices:

1) Put the contents of fgfsbase where FlightGear can find
   it. (i.e. copy to or check it out in /usr/local/FlightGear)

2) Tell FlightGear where to find the base package
   i.e. put --fg-root=/usr/local/src/fgfsbase in your ~/.fgfsrc file.

> run fgfs
>
> Now, let's say a couple of days go by, and I want to get the latest CVS.
> cd /usr/local/source/FlightGear (not /usr/local/lib/FlightGear?)
> cvs update -d -P
> here's where I get lost...
> Do I run fgfs?

If the code changes you will need to recompile.

> Do I rerun ./autogen.sh?
> Do I rerun ./configure, make, and make install?

You only need to rerun autogen.sh and configure if the configure.ac
file has changed, but it doesn't hurt anything to rerun autogen.sh
and configure if you aren't sure.

But then in either case run make; make install

> Does the update command give me FlightGear and fgfsbase, or do I need to cd to
> /usr/local/fgfsbase, cvs update -d -P, and copy contents of fgfsbase to
> /usr/local/lib/FlightGear?

The update command only works in the directory where you are located.

Also, don't forget that simgear development often happens in parralel
to FG development so you need to do a "cvs co" and "cvs update" of
simgear as well (directions on www.simgear.org)

If you are copying the fgfsbase to someplace flightgear can find it
(option #1) above, then yes, you need to copy any cvs changes over.

If you are pointing FlightGear to the fgfsbase (option #2 above) then
you don't need to do anything beyond the cvs update.

> I guess I'm not really understanding the process.  When I checkout FlightGear,
> I get the source code.  When I do the make install, does it create the
> binaries and install them in /usr/local/lib/FlightGear?

It will install the executable to /usr/local/bin/fgfs by default,
unless you specify an alternate --prefix= when you run configure.

Note that these things are all pretty standard and pretty common in
the unix world, although I can see how they could be confusing if you
aren't used to building source packages from scratch.

> When I check out fgfsbase, I get the data files, essentially.  These
> do not require compilation, correct?

Right ...

> Do they need to be copied to /usr/local/lib/FlightGear for the
> binaries to find them?  Or is the --fg-root=/path/to/my/fgfsbase
> parameter tell the binaries where the base files are?

Right, see above.

Regards,