All of the properties originally set by the FGSteam module in the
/steam property hierarchy have now been replaced by individual
instrumentation modules.  The /steam property branch, along with
src/Cockpit/steam.[ch]xx, will soon be disappearing from FlightGear.

I'd like to take a moment to thank Alex Perry for the original FGSteam
module, from which I've stolen most of the hard code for the new
instrumentation stuff.  Alex did an outstanding job on FGSteam, giving
FlightGear remarkably realistic instrument behaviour compared to
commercial sims I've tried like FS98, FLY!, and Elite.  He is the one
who has been urging me to dump FGSteam now, but I still wanted to
acknowledge how important that module has been to FlightGear.

Here are the original steam properties that will soon be disappearing:

  /steam/airspeed-kt
  /steam/altitude-ft
  /steam/altimeter-datum-mb
  /steam/turn-rate
  /steam/slip-skid
  /steam/vertical-speed-fps
  /steam/gyro-compass-deg
  /steam/gyro-compass-error-deg
  /steam/mag-compass-deg

Here are the new instrumentation properties that replace them:

  /instrumentation/airspeed-indicator/serviceable
  /instrumentation/airspeed-indicator/indicated-speed-kt

  /instrumentation/attitude-indicator/serviceable
  /instrumentation/attitude-indicator/horizon-offset-deg
  /instrumentation/attitude-indicator/indicated-pitch-deg
  /instrumentation/attitude-indicator/indicated-roll-deg

  /instrumentation/altimeter/serviceable
  /instrumentation/altimeter/setting-inhg
  /instrumentation/altimeter/indicated-altitude-ft

  /instrumentation/turn-indicator/serviceable
  /instrumentation/turn-indicator/spin
  /instrumentation/turn-indicator/indicated-turn-rate

  /instrumentation/slip-skid-ball/serviceable
  /instrumentation/slip-skid-ball/indicated-slip-skid

  /instrumentation/heading-indicator/serviceable
  /instrumentation/heading-indicator/spin
  /instrumentation/heading-indicator/offset-deg
  /instrumentation/heading-indicator/indicated-heading-deg

  /instrumentation/vertical-speed-indicator/serviceable
  /instrumentation/vertical-speed-indicator/indicated-speed-fpm

  /instrumentation/magnetic-compass/serviceable
  /instrumentation/magnetic-compass/indicated-heading-deg

Note that every instrument has a "serviceable" property; if you set
that to 'false', the instrument will stop functioning; it will also
stop working, or start working improperly, if there is a failure in
one of the systems it depends on (such as the static or vacuum
system).

The gyros all have a 'spin' property, from 0.0 (stationary) to 1.0
(spinning full speed).  This way, you can start the plane mid-flight
without having to watch the gyros spin up again.

Please everyone (especially Alex) give all of these a good workout
before I remove steam.[ch]xx from the CVS repository.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.megginson.com/