For the cockpit view, it might be interested to add optional
acceleration effects to make up for the lack of full motion -- I think
I first noticed this trick in Battle of Britain.  The FDMs already
publish the required information in the property tree:

  /accelerations/pilot/x-accel-fps_sec
  /accelerations/pilot/y-accel-fps_sec
  /accelerations/pilot/z-accel-fps_sec

What we'd do is tilt the cockpit viewpoint slightly for any strong
forwards/backwards or sideways accelerations.  For example, a strong,
forward acceleration (like a takeoff roll in a fighter jet) might tilt
the view pitch angle up a degree or so, while a strong deceleration
might tilt the head forward about the same amount.  Sideways
accelerations would cause the head to tilt sideways similarily (the
view roll angle).

Vertical accelerations are trickier, since they're roughtly
perpendicular to the spine.  The best thing here would be to adjust
the vertical view offset by half an inch or so down for a strong
upwards acceleration (being pushed down into your seat) or up for a
strong downwards acceleration (straining up against your lap belt).

If we want these to be useful and not cheesy, they'll have to be very
subtle in most normal flight (i.e. a fraction of a degree) except for
special situations like the initial part of the takeoff roll or heavy
braking.  On the other hand, if the plane is being flown by a
ham-fisted sim driver, we could rock things around a little more as
would be happening with real passengers (Alex has also suggested
splattering the panel with virtual vomit).

Jim: are you interested in adding this to the viewing architecture, or
would you like me to take a try in a week or two?  I don't claim to
fully understand how to use these, but you can look at
src/Instrumentation/slip_skid_ball.cxx for a sideways-acceleration
example I ripped off from Alex's old steam code.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.megginson.com/