James Turner writes:
> On Friday, February 21, 2003, at 03:23  pm, Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> >
> > The DAFIFT doesn't have taxiway data.  Beyond that, it would be
> > interesting to compare the X-Plane data set vs. DAFIFT to see what
> > airport X-Plane has that are not in DAFIFT.  Much of the X-Plane data
> > is hand entered, especially for areas outside the USA.
> >

> I'm a bit confused by this : why can't we get the runway data from
> DAFIFT and the taxiway data from ... oh
>
> .. wait...
>
> it won't match up, will it?
>
> Nevermind, I'll leave the airport data for now!
> /me learns an important lesson about trying to be too clever.

Jim,

This may work ok.  But, yes it will be additional effort to merge the
data, eliminate duplicates, resolve errors and discrepancies, etc.
X-Plane is continually upgrading their taxiway data, so it might be
nice to have a script that will start with DAFIF and extract all the
airport and runway data.  Then merge in data from X-Plane adding any
missing airports and any taxiway data ... taking care to avoid
airports that might still be in the X-Plane data set but have since
been plowed under by "progress".

Regards,