Martin Spott writes:
> Do you mean SRTM data in general or this special 'hgt' format ?

Yes, SRTM data as provided in the "hgt" format (data and format
description) available from:

    ftp://edcsgs9.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/srtm/GDPS/

I have begun some of the data preparations.  The preprocessing of the
3arcsec data took about 4 hours, so I'm anticipating that the
preprocessing of the 1arcsec data will take about 36 hours.  But I
also have some code changes queued up in my head that I'd also like to
get done before my next major world build so I won't suggest a time
line.  I'm finding myself *very* short on HD space so I may need to go
out and purchase some additional resources to do this.

> Martin.
> P.S.: Seen this one ?  http://www.geocities.com/drgportugal/dgtv/

I hadn't seen this site, but it looks like an interesting tool.  It
doesn't appear that they have found any additional free terrain data
though. :-(