> Martin Dressler just sent me his hi-res Bendix-King HSI which rounds
> out the C172-S instrument panel.  This panel is designed to run full
> screen and sit next to a physical radio stack so it's not complete in
> and of itself, but it is a beautiful sight to see.  Martin does really
> nice work.

Fantastic, this plane is better than ever for IFR training (though
tuning the radios via the menu is a bit painful, especially if the
mouse is the yoke substitute for lack of dedicated hardware...).

Just two questions: I assume that this HSI uses an ADAHRS rather than
a gyro, otherwise it would have to be calibrated, and I can't see a
calibration knob anywhere. What North does it point to then? Also, if
I use the AP in heading mode, why don't any two of the three headings
(HSI, HUD, AP buck) coincide? I just tried flying (out of KSFO) with
the buck set to 360. HUD shows 356.5, HSI is on 342. I thought the AP
would just centre the buck, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Any
ideas?

  Andras