* Julian Foad -- Tuesday 10 June 2003 23:06:
> CVS repositories have moved, although the old ones still seem to be
> responding (but presumably out of date).

Yes, extremely out of date.

> As I'm on a dial-up modem, I'm looking for a way to avoid a
> complete check-out (tens of megabytes -> hours or days of download).

You don't need to download everything again. Just make a copy of the
current repository (one never knows), then change all CVS/Root files
to the new destination -- I also changed all CVS/Repository files to
"data", but don't know if this was necessary -- and finally cvs up
from the new source. There is a python script around to change the
Root. I'm using the command line for such things:

  $ find . -name Root|xargs perl -pi -e 's,old root,new root,'

The "cvs up" will still take a while because of the new textures,
but it should be a lot faster than downloading again. You can use
the trace flag if you want to see some progress.  :-)

  $ cvs -t up

> Thirdly, I notice that the repository name includes the version
> number (-0.9).  So each time a new version is released, you start a
> new repository and developers have to do a fresh checkout (I don't
> think a script to convert the CVS metadata would be possible, as the
> revision numbers would change.)  I don't think this is normal; is it
> intentional?

It's not normal -- rather a catastrophe and not seen in any other
project. But yes, it's intentional.  :-(
I still hope that "FlightGear-1.0" will be a link to "FlightGear-0.9"
and we don't start with new revision numbers. After all, cvs can
handle big numbers quite well ...

  $ cvs status accounts|grep Working
     Working revision:    1.1079

m.