Hi Tim I live in Perth WA.
As far as I understand all that is needed to put models in the sim is to make the model in AC3D put it in the scenery folder that contains the tile for the area the model belongs then modify the "stg" file for the area.
To get some idea how it works have a look in the scenery file that contains KSFO in the default scenery folder.FYI the "stg" file you want is 942050.
Also if you read through section 6.7 of the FAQ's, if you havn't already, it might help.

HTH
Innis

Tim Jelliffe wrote
Hi,

Just read Davids post about volunteers making models of buildings and things. Just something that occured to me the other day, has anyone made an aircraft carrier model for flightgear yet? :)

I live in Sydney, Australia, and it would be great to have a model of the Sydney Opera house and other bits around the harbour. Would all these need to be done in Blender? I had a go at using this the other day, and quite frankly I found it very hard to use, even after following a couple of the tutorials. Assuming that I can get the drift of it and make a model of something, is there any documentation on how to actually get this included in the scenery? I had a look at the Scenery Generation for Flight Gear page, but that seems to be just the tiles stuff, not how to stick an object at coordinates x.

Thanks

Tim J