Frederic Bouvier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> I am searching material on the web to make textures, and
> often, we have to ask permission to use an image or a
> drawing that is not free nor in the public domain.
>
> Is it acceptable for us that the owner of the material
> wants to restrict the usage for FlightGear only ?
> I know that GPL allow to charge distribution fees so a
> non commercial usage restriction is not acceptable.
> What are the other restrictions that we can accept and
> what are the ones we cannot ?

<disclaimer>Note, that I am not a lawyer.</disclaimer>

We really cannot accept any restrictions beyond GPL.  Generally I
have specifically asked to have the material released for a GPL project.
Releases need to be GPL or less (e.g. totally unrestricted).  There
is no guarantee that it won't be included in a charged for freeware
disk, or linux distribution.  Also I would think that the project
could not guarantee that we would pursue violations if for example
someone stole a texture for a commercial MSFS add on.  It is really
beyond our control unless a particular violation is so egregious
that Curt decides to gather up a collection for legal fees.

Best,

Jim