Melchior FRANZ writes:

 > I guess that everyone has wondered about the outer marker control
 > light already. It has been on since 2003/03/09. Didn't blink since
 > then.  :-)

I saw my marker lights (on my KMA 24 audio panel) flash for the first
time when I was flying down to NYC on Monday: we don't use OMI markers
at all in Canada.  I was overflying Albany at 7500 feet, and I saw
first the O and then the M markers light up, one after the other (I
also pushed the button to listen to the audio), just for fun.

Canada got rid of markers a while ago and now uses an NDB instead of
an outer marker as the FAF for ILS approaches: that has several
advantages, including the ability to navigate directly to the IAF/FAF,
the ability to see how close you are to intercepting the LOC (and
whether you're being vectored too tight), and the ability to allow NDB
approaches when the LOC goes U/S (as happened with the LOC/BC 25
approach in Ottawa last week: I wonder how the Boeing and Airbus
drivers felt tuning into the ATIS and hearing "approach NDB 25").

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.megginson.com/