Jim Wilson writes:

 > At one point we breifly discussed a rules based way of placing
 > windsocks.  It actually isn't all that complex, but it needs to be
 > coded.  Basically you'd have to put one near the end of each runway
 > and just one in the middle at short fields (off to the side of
 > course, or we'd have a sock in the way).

That's right.  There are a few other considerations as well: for
example, we want to make sure that we don't place a windsock in the
middle of a taxiway.  There's also the issue of lighted vs. unlighted
windsocks (which we can kludge from the lighting flag for the runway),
and in the U.S., there's a thing called a "segmented circle" which
shows pattern direction (I think) that sometimes appears around the
windsock.

 > I wouldn't necessarily bother placing it at all rendered airports,
 > but rather just calculate the placement for the airport you are
 > taking off from, at the same time the take off position and tower
 > positions are calculated.

Sounds good. We should also allow manual placement when possible, by
adding a flag *not* to include automatic windsocks.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.megginson.com/