Darrell Walisser schrieb:

Hi Folks
With regard to texture sizes for instrument guages is it better(less
demanding on the CPU/graphics card)to have a lot of small textures, or is it
better to put them all on one large texture, or does it not matter.

If you know all the textures will be used at the same time, it is better for the cpu/graphics card to have one large texture (fewer state changes). This isn't always possible though, if you want to use really big textures (you'll hit the card's texture size limit). Most cards these days can do 1024x1024 (and higher). Many older cards are limited to 256x256.

I know that the Voodoos were limited to 256x256 - but they are gone.
The old Riva TNT could handle bigger textures (up to 4096x4096 IIRC) - but they are probably a bit too old and weak as well.

IMHO we should require a card with T&L setup as minimum, i.e. GeForce class. And they should be able to handle a reasonable texture size.

Oh, and you can be quite ignorant when it comes to texture size. PLIB automatically scales textures down when the hardware can't handle it...

So go for big texture sizes.

CU,
Christian