On 28 Jul 2003 14:55:06 +0100,
Matthew Law <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> > If ther eis a switch for CHT .. would this be so you can manually
> adjust the
> > temp if needed?
>
> No. Cylinder Head Temp is usually used to help you assess the health
> of your engine.  If it is running too hot it is likely to shorten the
> life of the engine.  If it is running really hot then it's probably
> about to die very soon.  IIRC, running lean at high power settings
> increases CHT.

...except when running lean-of-peak, where leaning further, lowers CHT
further.  For details, drop "lean of peak" into the search window in
http://flightgear.org/ or for click'ers; 2 oneliner urls:
http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&num=10&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=lean+of+peak&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=flightgear.org&safe=images
or
http://www.google.com/custom?q=%22lean+of+peak%22&sa=Google+Search&cof=AH%3Acenter%3BGL%3A0%3B

> Running rich decreases it since there is more fuel to help dissipate
> heat.  In the context of a racer, CHT is helpful in knowing if you can
> push your engine a little harder without blowing it I suppose.
>
> Then again, I might be totally wrong!

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: