Did I say Warren, I meant Orrin...

Don't worry.  The esteemed Senator from Utah, Warren Hatch is proposing a
Constitutional Amendment to change just that, along with other things, I'm sure...

Tony Peden wrote:
On Sun, 2003-08-17 at 15:20, David Megginson wrote:

Tony Peden writes:

 > Is Arnold not a citizen?
 >
 > "No person except a natural born citizen,

He is not a natural-born citizen.

 > or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of
 > this Constitution,

He was not a citizen at the time of the adoption of the constitution.

 > shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any
 > person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to
 > the age of thirty five years, and been fourteen Years a resident
 > within the United States."

These are additional criteria, not substitute ones.  There was a small
controversy when a charity dedicated to getting a woman elected as
president gave money to Jennifer Granholm's gubernatorial campaign in
Michigan: she can never go on to become U.S. president without a
constitutional ammendement, since she was born in Canada.

As far as I understand, a vice-president who was not born in the
U.S. would have to be passed over in the line of succession if the
president were incapacitated, since the statement refers to holding
the office rather than just being elected to it.  So if Arnie were
V.P. and the president were incapacitated, the presidency would go to
the Speaker of the House.

Hmmph .. well that pretty much flies in the face of the melting pot, now
doesn't it?

All the best,

David

--
Russ

Conway's Law: "The structure of a system tends to mirror the
structure of the group producing it."
      -- Mel Conway Datamation (1968)