Melchior FRANZ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Faked lights (simple objects with red emission) are relatively
> dark. To enhance visibility from farther distances I make them
> bigger than they would be in reality and use simple shapes such
> as ugly cubes to keep the poly count low. The cubes, however,
> must only be shown when they represent a turned on light in the
> dark, while they shouldn't be shown at all otherwise. So, when
> blinking, the whole cube should toggle between shown and hidden,
> and not toggle between two shown objects. What is the best way
> to do this? I'm using this animation now:
>
>   <animation>
>       <type>timed</type>
>       <object-name>flasher</object-name>
>       <object-name>none</object-name>
>       <duration-sec>2.0</duration-sec>
>   </animation>
>
> Whereby "none" is a silly object below the surface. Is there
> a better way to make an object "blink", that doesn't need a
> dummy object?

Maybe not.  Have you tried experimenting with a short line object instead of a
cube?  The line will look similar to the scenery lights, without being big or
ugly.  You just need to make the distance between the two vertices far enough
so the ac3d loader in plib doesn't optimize it out.  To make the light
brighter you might to cluster 3 of these together in an object (perpendicular
like 3D axes) and increasing the length of the lines slightly.  It still won't
be particularly noticable in daylight (as the cube is).

Best,

Jim