Jon S Berndt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Which is better:
>
> awk
> gawk
> nawk
>
> ??

Well I'm going to throw in the old "it depends on what you are doing".  Since
I've been around longer than perl, I still use awk for a lot of one line
stuff.  For example it often works better than xargs (piped out to sh).  But
it has been a while since I've written an awk script file for anything.

So I agree with the others...perl or python.

If you are interested in doing little utility scripts and once in a while a
slick one liner at the shell prompt then learn perl.

If you are going to be doing bigger scripts and potentially sophistcated
applications (e.g. database, gui), then python would probably be better.

IMO perl is easier to learn if you are a C programmer.

IOO python is easier to learn period (I haven't tried yet).

Oh and as far as your original question: nawk is something I'm not familiar
with, but gawk is just the gnu version and in fact awk is just a simlink to
gawk on linux boxes.  I would guess that gawk covers all the nawk
functionality and then some.

Best,

Jim