In FlightGear, I just paused in the middle of a climb out from
Brampton (NC3) towards the Simcoe VOR (YSO).  I'm nursing the climb,
trimming the 172's nose down to 85 kias to keep the engine cool and
settling for 600 fpm through 4500 for 5000 ft.  I caught myself
looking at the clouds getting closer and wondering if I was still
going to be below them at 5000 or if I would end up inside.

Suddenly I felt just like I was doing the climb for real, watching the
DME flicker in and out (I'm at the edge of its reception range) and
looking around at the lights of roads and small towns north of Toronto
becoming more visible as the twilight fades.  I don't know how we
stack up against the latest versions of MSFS and X-Plane, but I never
experienced anything like this in FLY! or MSFS 98 -- I even started to
have imagined physical sensations, like the cool evening air blowing
out the floor vent over my feet, the vibration from the engine, and
the headset squeezing my ears.

Good work, guys.  We rock.  Stuff like this doesn't happen unless
*every* contribution (documentation, colour, texture, flight model,
sound, animations, modelling, sky, scenery, you name it) comes
together perfectly.

I'm going to go back to FlightGear now before I start crying and spoil
the whole thing (not that owners of manly low-wing planes ever cry, of
course ...).

All the best,

David