I don't recall seeing this go past previously; if it has, my
apologies.

I've just been reading the April 2003 issue of EAA's Sport Aviation
magazine and pages 50 through 58 are a nice article titled "Virtual
Building" about"Flight simulation for the homebuilder" by Chuck
Bodeen.  It includes a discussion comparing the benefits of
FlightGear, X-plane-0.66 and MSFS2002.

Good grief,

A comparison between FlightGear *and* MSFS *and* X-plane.
This and David's post give me the feeling we're on the right track!

Any conclusion on FlightGear?

..a "con" is Microsoft is sponsoring EAA, so we "have" to beat
MSFS where it hurts the most, on merits.  ;-)

If we implement multiplayer, AI, dynamic campaign and weapon systems like in Falcon, Flanker/LO-MAC and Janes F/A-18 together, then we get no doubtly the best flying sim ever. Oh, did I mention we're making opensourced cross-platform simulation :). What else could anyone ever wanted???

- Matevz