Roman Grigoriev writes:
> Hi guys!
> I implement smokes and missile trails on flightgear and come across to
> following problem:
> ALPHA sorting
> could you please describe me why we have this problem?
> so here is two screenshots one from plib viewer
> http://fgfs.narod.ru/snap2.jpg
> and one from flightgear.
> http://fgfs.narod.ru/snap1.jpg
> Maybe I should adjust state?
> What should I do?
> Thanx in advance

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but as you probably know, to
correctly render a scene in opengl, you need to first draw all the
opaque objects, then draw all the objects with transparency (depth
sorted from furthest to closest.)

Plib does a very crude alpha sort and separates out the opaque and
transparent objects, then draws the transparent objects last.
However, it does *not* depth sort them.  An a patch was submitted to
the plib devel team, but it got flat out rejected. :-(

But, most likely you problem is happening because the translucent
objects aren't being depth sorted and rendered back to front.

Regards,

Curtis Olson   HumanFIRST Program               FlightGear Project
Twin Cities    curt 'at' me.umn.edu             curt 'at' flightgear.org