Hi Curt

"Curtis L. Olson"

Innis Cunningham writes: > Yes you are right.What I was trying to get at is as you fly past a VOR > station > the needle should move from pointing some degree forward to some degree > backward.

As I understand it, the VOR needle swings right and left.  If you beyond
(10?) degrees of the selected radial, the needle will always stay pegged
to one side. The needle will move if you are within (10?) degrees of
the selected and it will show you which side you are on and how
close.  It is physically impossible for the needle to point forwards
or backwards, it just swings side to side.
What you describe is a deviation bar that does exactly what you say.

We must be talking about two different things here because your description is so far different from my understanding/observation of a VOR needle.
Yes there are instruments where a needle moves through 360 deg to point
to a valid vor station, exactly like the ADF guage, and after talking to David Culp the code already exists in FG to impliment such an instrument.

Regards,

Curt.

Thanks again for your help

Cheers