Hi,
Very nice piece of kit - but a little costly.  I've been toying with the idea
of building my own generic single seat cockpit unit.  I do MIDI, LCD, Serial
and Keyboard interface controllers.  Recently I've got hold of some USB chips
and have been planning to make some control panels for FlightGear.  I'm
wondering how many people would be interested in developing some 'open-source'
hardware for FlightGear?  We have facilities here including precision CNC
milling and drilling, circuit board fabrication and welding.  I'd be quite
happy to do general control panels at a price little over cost or provide the
circuit board and chips.

I'm not too familar on how FlightGear handles inputs and frankly I don't want
to start getting involved in developing software on the 'other' side on the
control panel.  I think USB would be a good choice of interface as it would
allow for flexible configuration over time.

My rough ideas for a generic cockpit would be based on a tubular aliminium
frame and supporting structure for displays, PC and controls, with optional
plywood cladding for the outside.  Internally panels would be held with a steel
frame supporting structure.  My aims are to make the cockpit as simple to build
as possible.  This should be easier to achieve if taking a generic approach
rather than trying to model the cockpit on a actual aircraft.

I don't know if this is the right place to be discussing this (is the devel
mail-list intended for software development? If so could a hardware development
mail-list be set up?).

I'd be happy to hear from anyone interested, even if it's only ideas at this
point in time.

All the best,
Al