On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:09:02 -0600
 "Curtis L. Olson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

FWIW (and hopefully this doesn't mean major breakage) I've been considering some changes to the autopilot infrastructure to make it more flexible. For instance, we (or at least I) could really use a mode to hold speed with pitch, or hold pitch with elevator. And it would be nice to be able to support some of the more advanced FCS concepts that right now are only accessible to JSBSim models (things like yaw dampers, and other fly-by-wire type stuff.)

Every once in a while I think about looking for a way to make the JSBSim FCS components/system work with FlightGear independently of JSBSim. It was originally conceived to be used by FlightGear as a tool to develop autopilots/FCS implementations, etc. (and it has been used for this purpose inside JSBSim outside of FlightGear). However, since FlightGear features several FDMs, it precludes the strengths (and weaknesses) of one approach from becoming a standard. This is good and bad. It is a disappointment to me to see what I consider one of JSBSim's unique strengths (perhaps even groundbreaking in the flight simulation world) underutilized due to compatibility restrictions.

Jon