"Jon S Berndt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:06:41 -0800
>   Andy Ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>My interpretation was that their problem was latency, not I/O
>>throughput.  The program cooks along using 100% of the CPU, then it
>>needs to load a giant data set off the disk, [...]

> Yes, it seems to be a latency issue.

There are still 'silicon disks' that attach to a SCSI channel - very
expensive but really nice. You might want to prefetch your data from
the hard disk to such a silicon disk before you really use it. If the
hard disk read operations are predictabe, there is an alternative in
employing a CacheFS on top of XFS and increase the read-ahead number in
/var/sysgen/stune (see /var/sysgen/mtune/cachefs for explanation).

On the other hand it might be easier to 'preload' the data into memory
and prevent this memory area to being swapped out (there should be some
operating system call),

Martin.